Thinning Hair? Don’t Despair: Options for Treating Male Pattern Baldness
Table of Contents
- 1 Introduction: The Common Ways to Treat Male Pattern Baldness
- 2 What is Male Pattern Baldness?
- 3 “The key to solving hair loss is in your hands – take the steps to find the right solution for you.”
- 4 What causes Androgenetic Alopecia?
- 5 Treating Androgenetic Alopecia
- 6 Microneedling for Scalp – Achieve Hair Regrowth with Science
- 7 What is Microneedling for Scalp?
- 8 Is Microneedling for Scalp Hair Growth Treatment Backed By Science?
- 9 Are There Before and After Photos of the Treatment?
- 10 Pricing of Hair Loss Treatments by Wellaholic
- 11 Why Wellaholic is One of the Best Hair Loss Treatment Providers in Singapore?
Introduction: The Common Ways to Treat Male Pattern Baldness
Are you feeling like your hairline is retreating faster than a frightened turtle? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Male pattern baldness affects millions of men worldwide, causing receding hairlines and thinning crowns. But fear not, my fellow folically challenged friend! There are plenty of options for treating male pattern baldness. From shampoos to surgeries, we’ve got you covered. So put down that hat and read on to learn about some of the best ways to combat hair loss and regain your confidence.
What is Male Pattern Baldness?
After doing endless research on Google, maybe you’ve even heard of the term before: androgenetic alopecia. Some hair care experts use it to refer to pattern baldness in males (and females), and there are all kinds of genetic and environmental factors that can causing the condition. With this condition, the hair’s growth cycle is weakened, and hair follicles shrink. Then you get shorter, thinner strands of hair. In time, the natural growth cycle of your hair ends, but there are new hair growth to replace and renew the cycle.
This form of hair loss can observe a well-defined pattern that starts from above the temples on your head. As the hairline recedes, it forms the characteristic ‘M’ shape, and the hair thins at the top of the head—the crown. Most of the time, androgenetic alopecia can lead to partial or complete baldness.
“The key to solving hair loss is in your hands – take the steps to find the right solution for you.”
What causes Androgenetic Alopecia?
Most of the time, androgenetic alopecia genetically predetermined disorder due to an excessive response to androgens. Androgens constitutes a group of hormones that mainly influence the growth and development of the male reproductive system. One example you may be familiar is testosterone.
That’s why androgenetic hair loss can occur in early adolescence, because the regression of scalp hair, or baldness, can be influenced by androgens. There are studies that find that there are 16% of men between 18 and 29 year old can experience male pattern baldness. The prevalence of the condition increases with age: the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM), has discovered that over 50 percent of all men over 50 year old will experience some extent of by male pattern baldness.
But there are medical conditions and medical treatments that can be serious causes for this condition: cancers, thyroid conditions, anabolic steroids, as well as some medications. Certain health conditions could cause baldness. When you have unexpected rashes, redness, pain, peeling of the scalp, hair breakage, patchy hair loss, or even an unusual pattern of hair loss accompanies the hair loss, you should go see a doctor, ASAP. Because you might need proper blood tests or a skin biopsy to diagnose the disorders behind the hair loss.
Treating Androgenetic Alopecia
1. Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar)
This is an oral medication that can slow down the male pattern of hair loss by blocking the male hormone that’s responsible for hair loss. This can only be use in men. Finasteride has been shown to be more effective than minoxidil, another common medication to treat hair loss (we’ll cover that in the next point!)
If you’re taking finasteride, you need to continuously do so. Its ability to slow down the this type of hair loss will only show when you take the medication. Most of the time, it takes three months to a year before you can see results. If not, you should speak to your doctor before you stop taking the medication.
The side effects of finasteride include itching, rash, hives, breast tenderness, breast growth, swelling of the face or lips, as well as depression. In rare cases, the effects of finasteride can cause breast cancer too. One of the other side effects of finasteride actually affects the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests used to screen for prostate cancer, leading to increased risk of undetected prostate cancer.
Minoxidil, or Rogaine, is a very common type of hair regrowth treatment, one of the more effective treatments too. (Psst, we use it for our Microneedling for Scalp treatments) This is a topical medication that you can apply on your scalp, and it slows hair loss while stimulates the hair follicles to grow new hair. It usually takes four months to a year to see visible results. Like finasteride, you hair loss returns when you stop applying minoxidil.
The possible side effects are irritation, dryness, a burning sensation, as well as the scaling of the scalp. There are more serious side effects as well, and you have to see the doctor if you experience weight gain, swelling of your face, hands, ankles, or abdomen, rapid heartbeats, chest pain, trouble breathing when your lie down, and laboured breathing.
3. Hair Transplants
This is the stuff of A-list celebs. But a hair transplant isn’t a breeze; it’s actually one of the most invasive and expensive hair loss treatment you can find. For hair transplantation, the hair from other areas of the scalp that still have active hair growth will be removed, so that it can be transplanted onto the thinning or balding areas on your scalp. Though you can look forward to natural-looking healthy hair that’s permanent.
While this may be a permanent solution, you’d need multiple hair transplants. Not to mention, you’ll risk scarring and infection on your scalp. Well, you know what they say about beauty and pain.
4. Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)
Don’t be put off by this sci-fi sounding therapy. LLLT is a modern non-surgical hair loss treatment. It’s touted as one of the safer alternatives, because it’s non-invasive, painless, and have little to no side effects. There’s a 2014 study that showed that the LLLT appeared to be safe and effective for hair growth in both men and women. And a study in 2013 showed that LLLT help provided a 39 percent increase in hair growth over a period of 16 weeks for the 41 males ages 18 to 48 in the study.
The low-level laser usually emits from devices with diodes installed, and the devices can be in the form of salon hoods, overhead panels, bonnet or head caps, or otherhand-held devices. This FDA-approved laser treatment works by using laser light to stimulate cell growth by stimulating circulation around the hair follicles for hair growth.
To give you a better idea of what’s it like, let’s dive into Wellaholic’s very own LLLT treatment. Our friendly consultants will check for the areas of hair loss and make note of it. Then those areas are cleaned and disinfected with a little alcohol. If you opted for our signature HairGrow™ regime (highly recommended), the consultant will assist with the Microneedling for Scalp treatment first to maximise your hair growth.
Our consultant will then place the LLLT helmet. It only takes 20 minutes, which is perfect for a quick episode of the Netflix comedy you’re chasing. After it’s all done, our consultant will keep track of your hair regrowth too!
Yes, you heard that right. Microneedling isn’t just for doing facial treatments. After all, skin is skin. The skin that covers our scalp is also similar to the skin that covers our faces. And just like the skin on our faces, the scalp can also lose collagen with time, and that slows down the hair growth in the scalp hair follicles.
Microneedling for hair loss works by causing controlled ‘injuries’ on your scalp. Don’t panic! It won’t leave with you with a permanent scar on your scalp. At the most, you’ll just experience some minor bleeding and a little redness on your scalp. At Wellaholic, we combine Microneedling for Scalp with a topical 5% Minoxidil solution to compound the hair regrowth capabilities of the two hair loss treatments. And you can see the lush hair growth over a 12-week period. Wellaholic’s Microneedling for Scalp has proven to be especially effective for customers with androgenetic alopecia.
Microneedling for Scalp – Achieve Hair Regrowth with Science
Are you tired of losing hair faster than your favorite sports team loses games? Well, it’s time to bring in the big guns and tackle your hair loss head-on (pun intended). With the power of science and the latest in hair regrowth technology, you can achieve the luscious locks of your dreams. Enter microneedling for scalp – the treatment that’s got people buzzing (and growing hair) all over the world. So, get ready to roll up your sleeves (and your hair), because we’re about to take a closer look at how microneedling can help you achieve hair regrowth with science.
What is Microneedling for Scalp?
- Treat Hair Loss and Promote Hair Growth. Microneedling for scalp is a collagen induction therapy hair loss treatment in Singapore that can help treat hair loss and promote hair regrowth.
- Controlled Trauma to Scalp. Microneedling for Scalp causes controlled trauma to the scalp to stimulate hair growth.
- Effective with Minoxidil. When combined with the use of minoxidil 5%, microneedling has been shown to have positive effects on hair growth over a 12-week period.
- Ideal to Treat Alopecia Areata. Microneedling for scalp is particularly effective for patients with Alopecia Areata and Androgenetic Alopecia, as well as those experiencing male pattern baldness, receding hairline, and thinning hair.
- 12-Week Regime is Ideal. For Wellaholic’s Microneedling for Scalp, a weekly treatment for 12 weeks is recommended to see good results, as supported by case studies demonstrating the effectiveness of microneedling for hair loss.
Is Microneedling for Scalp Hair Growth Treatment Backed By Science?
There has been numerous research studies which shows the effectiveness of microneedling with Minoxidil for hair growth.
Study 1: A Randomized Evaluator Blinded Study of Effect of Microneedling in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Pilot Study (2013) [source]
- In 2013, 100 men with Androgenetic Alopecia (AGA) were recruited to take part in a study which tested the effects of microneedling on hair growth. 94 men completed the study.
- The men were randomly split into two groups. The first group, which consisted of 50 volunteers, was treated with both microneedling and minoxidil (5 percent) lotion.
- The second group, which consisted of 44 volunteers, was treated with minoxidil (5 percent) lotion.
- The group which combined Microneedling with Minoxidil application saw a significant hair growth as compared to the minoxidil-only group
Study 2: Response to Microneedling Treatment in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia Who Failed to Respond to Conventional Therapy (2015) [source]
- In 2015, researchers recruited four men who had been on 5 percent minoxidil solution for the past two to five years (9). While their hair loss didn’t continue, there were no signs of growth.
- The four men were subjected to microneedling sessions over a six-month period combined with their current therapies.
- A 7-point evaluation scale was used to track results, and the men were followed up with for 18 months to assess treatment sustainability.
- The patients experienced a +2 or +3 on the standardised evaluation scale, and new hair growth was noted after 8 – 10 sessions. Even further, these results were sustained over 18 months.
- This is the first case series to report the boosting effect of microneedling with respect to new hair follicle stimulation in patients with androgenetic alopecia who were poor responders to conventional therapy.
Are There Before and After Photos of the Treatment?
Pricing of Hair Loss Treatments by Wellaholic
- Price Transparency. Wellaholic offers pricing transparency by publishing and updating all prices on our website.
- Flexible Per-Session or Unlimited Plans. Customers can choose from unlimited monthly hair regrowth plans for the best cost-savings, or per-session hair regrowth price plans.
- Mix and Match Easily. Wellaholic’s hair regrowth prices are divided into different categories for easy selection.
- No Price Shocks. Customers can expect to pay only for the treatments provided instead of being surprised by additional fees or charges at the end of their hair regrowth session.
Please click on the menu below to see the pricing for the various hair loss treatments by Wellaholic. Prices are nett and inclusive of GST. Wellaholic is well-known in the industry for our transparent pricing and no hard selling. In fact, Wellaholic is well-known for not only our transparent and cheap pricing but also without any hidden costs. All prices are nett and inclusive of GST, and are actual prices (i.e. not trial prices).
Why Wellaholic is One of the Best Hair Loss Treatment Providers in Singapore?
- Advanced Hair Regrowth Technologies. Wellaholic offers a range of hair loss treatments, including advanced technologies like microneedling and low-level laser therapy.
- Customised Treatment Plans. The clinic provides customized treatment plans for each individual, based on their specific hair loss concerns and needs.
- Experienced Staff. Wellaholic’s team of experienced therapists use high-quality products and equipment to ensure effective results.
- Price Transparency with No Hidden Costs. Wellaholic is committed to transparency and provides clear and upfront pricing for all their services, without any hidden costs.
- Positive Results from Customers. Wellaholic has received positive reviews from satisfied customers, who have noticed significant improvements in their hair growth and overall confidence.
Reason 1: Wellaholic Offers Comprehensive Hair Regrowth Services and Expertise
Wellaholic offers different types of hair regrowth treatments for your hair regrowth needs. Our hair regrowth packages can be broken down into the following categories:
- HairGrow Hair Regrowth Plan
- HairGrow™ is an effective solution for hair loss by combining Wellaholic’s three hair regrowth treatments with free additional weekly Low Level Laser Treatments (LLLT) to supercharge your hair regrowth.
- See hair regrowth results over a 12-week period.
- HairGrow combines all three different scientific hair regrowth treatments of Microneedling for Scalp, Scalp Booster and LLLT to accelerate your hair regrowth efforts.
- Pay for 2 treatments and get the 3rd treatment free.
- Microneedling for Scalp
- Microneedling for Scalp helps treat hair loss and promote hair regrowth.
- Microneedling for Scalp is a Collagen Induction Therapy hair loss treatment in Singapore which is also able to cause controlled trauma in the scalp to promote hair growth.
- Together with the use of Minoxidil 5%, Microneedling can lead to positive effects on hair growth over a 12-week period.
- Especially effective for patients with Alopecia Areata and Androgenetic Alopecia, or male pattern baldness, receding hairline and thinning hair.
- Scalp Booster
- Scalp Booster uses two proven technologies of WellaBoost – Method One (High Pressure Jet Spray) and Method Two (Electroporation).
- This helps to improve the absorption of Minoxidil by the scalp by up to 17 times and is ideal for treating hair loss.
- Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)
- LLLT is a modern non-surgical hair loss treatment.
- LLLT uses laser light to stimulate cell growth and supercharge hair follicles.
- This laser technology helps to combat hair loss and improve the volume and appearance of hair.
- The LLLT helmet is FDA approved.
- The LLLT treatment has been proven to have no side effects and takes about 20 minutes per session.
Reason 2: Wellaholic Has Over 2000 Genuine Customer Reviews & Testimonials
- Over 50 Awards. Wellaholic’s treatments and services have been recognized by top beauty publications such as Daily Vanity, Beauty Insider, and Tropika Club Magazine, earning prestigious awards from 2018 to 2023.
- Over 2000 Verified Customer Reviews. Wellaholic has over 2000 verified positive reviews from our customers in Singapore and beyond.
- Verifiable Reviews. The reviews are verified and positive, which indicates the high level of customer satisfaction (see reviews below).
- Over 50% Repeat Customers. More than 50% of Wellaholic’s customers are repeat and recurring customers.
Reason 3: It’s Easy to Book an Appointment at Wellaholic
- Open 361 Days Per Year. Wellaholic’s 8 outlets are open 361 days a year, including public holidays, so that customers can easily book an appointment.
- No Queues. All appointments are booked in advanced to prevent the need to queue and wait unnecessarily during peak hours.
- Easy Online Booking. Customers can conveniently book and reschedule appointments online or via the booking app.
- No Extra Cost for Choosing Consultant. Customers can select their preferred consultant without having to pay any additional fees.