How to Deal With Excessive Hair Growth
Table of Contents
- What is Hirsutism and Hypertrichosis?
- What are the symptoms of excessive hair growth?
- What are the treatments for excessive hair growth?
- Are there medications to treat excessive hair growth?
- Permanent Hair removal with WellaSmooth
Hirsutism is the medical term for excess hair growth. This can occur usually in places where hair can affect the appearance leading to decrease in self-confidence. Fortunately there are various ways to deal with this issue. In this article, the team from Wellaholic will share on the symptoms and causes of excessive hair growth and the various ways to to treat it.
What is Hirsutism and Hypertrichosis?
In most of the situations, women only have very fine hairs on areas of the skin where men tend to have thicker hairs. This includes body regions like chest, back, abdomen as well as upper lips, chin and cheeks. Nevertheless, about less than 10% of women develop a condition called hirsutism. This condition leads to excessive hair growth in the above-mentioned areas. Also known as hypertrichosis, the hairs are not only excessive but can also be thick. This can cause embarrassment for the subject and usually lead to self-esteem issues. Fortunately there are way to combat this condition.
What are the symptoms of excessive hair growth?
Excessive hair growth do come with related symptoms, such as the following:
- Deep voice (raspy)
- Acne breakouts
- Abnormal menstrual periods or the lack of periods
- Increased muscle mass
- Decreased breast size
About 50% of women with hirsutism end up having elevated levels of male hormones. This is also known as androgens. This is usually caused by the following factors:
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. This is a set of disorders that affect the adrenal gland and therefore cause the body to product more androgen.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. This results in a hormonal imbalance, and may result in cysts forming on the ovaries.
- Tumours growing in the ovaries and adrenal glands.
- Other medications such as steroids, etc.
- Are you likely to have excessive hair growth?
While it is unlikely, factors such as genetics may play a part in excessive hair growth. Also, certain race or ethnicity may see an increased likelihood of hirsutism. This includes woman from Middle Eastern, South Asian descent. Also, women facing menopause may have excessive hair growth.
What are the treatments for excessive hair growth?
There is a variety of treatments for excessive hair growth:
- Shaving – Shaving remains the most common method. However, it does not lead to permanent hair removal. Also, there is a tendency for the hairs to look thicker as they start to grow back.
- Waxing – Waxing as well as plucking is similar to shaving. It can be a painful process, and may sometimes irritate the skin.
- Depilatory creams – Such creams can help remove body hair. Nevertheless, due to the harsh chemicals used, it might irritate the skin.
- Laser hair removal – This uses a laser beam to target and damage the hair follicles. Wellaholic’s SHR Hair Removal is under this classification of hair removal treatments.
In this article on teeth whitening, we are going to share with you the Top 7 things that dentists wish you would know before you start your teeth whitening treatment.. Just like everyone else you want to have the brightest and whitest teeth ever possible.
If you have ever been to a waxing salon or studio, you would be familiar with the pain of having all your hairs being ripped forcefully out from their follicles via waxing. Waxing is not only a painful affair but a regular affair, as waxing removes the ha
Hard on the heels of our double award wins from Beauty Insider Spa and Salon Awards 2019, Wellaholic has won another two awards, this time from Daily Vanity Spa & Hair Awards 2019.
Being recognised as the Best SHR Salon in Singapore and the Best Fat Free
Shielding yourself from the sun’s rays with SPF is essential no matter the time of year, though we all start thinking about it a little more when the warm weather arrives and we’re spending time outdoors. But even if you make the effort to wear sunscreen
When it comes to eliminating unwanted hair in fragile locations, laser hair removal is the best solution. Shaving around your bikini or butts is tricky work and often results in agonising side effects like cuts, bumps, and ingrown hairs. Waxing is another popular approach but involves ripping and tearing at your hair roots with hot wax, which can be rather uncomfortable, to say the least.
Are there medications to treat excessive hair growth?
Excessive hair growth can be controlled by some medication. This include the following:
- Vaniqu – Also known as eflornithine, this is a prescription cream that can be used to slow hair growth.
- Aldoctone and Proscar – These medications are able to block the androgenic hormone’s ability to adversely impact the body. However, it is not an immediate solution and may take months to see results.
Permanent Hair removal with WellaSmooth
WHAT IS WELLASMOOTH™?
WellaSmooth™ is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair removal experience, completed with all-that-you-require shaving service and our amazing Post-Treatment Therapy (PTT) with AfterGlow which helps with your skin whitening, hydrating and rejuvenating. Result? Smooth and glowing skin that will wow everyone. WellaSmooth™ is a laser hair removal for both men and women, by male and female therapists.
WellaSmooth™ is your ultimate all-inclusive hair removal treatment in Singapore complete with shaving and post-treatment care.